Jeff and Todd

Jeff and Todd

Where it all began...

  1. So Jeff and I love a good pie. Travelling as we do with Osler, now and again we've had the chance to sample the local fare. Not the mass produced variety, but the little bundles of love you can only get in a local pie shop or bakery.
  2. This all started as a running joke. As we made our way back up the Bruce Highway to the Sunshine Coast after yet another Brisbane trip, we passed "The World Famous Beefy's Pies". Resisting the urge, we vowed to save our Beefy's for a special occasion, perhaps our first sale. Everytime we passed Beefy's en route to home, we gazed longingly out the window, the car almost steering itself down the offramp. But we held firm, even when our colleagues threatened to sabotage our mission.
  3. With our first sale behind us it was time to break our duck. Beefy's didn't disappoint. In the glorious afternoon sunshine in May, Jeff tucked into a chunky beef, while I got stuck into my favorite, a steak, bacon and cheese. Mmmmmm.

    1. And so it began. Our mission now to document our Pie Cruise as we travel our home state, our nation and the world at large.
    2. Our mission? A parallel, cross-over systematic analysis of selected pie shops in our Osler journey

      Below you can follow our journey in reverse chronological order

      If you have a suggestion for our blog, please feel free to send it to todd.fraser@oslertechnology.com

Saturday 3 September 2016

London, England

  1. Dateline 3 September, 2016
  2. Today's entry is by Guest Pie Blogger, Osler COO Steve Sacks :
  3. Feeling a bit peckish after touring the sights of London this morning, I drop into the Horse & Stables in Lambeth North on the way back to our Airbnb for a bite to eat. Sadly, Todd & Jeff are not with me this afternoon as we part ways today for the rest of our world tour.  
  4. The Sherlock Holmes ambiance at the Horse & Stables has my mouth watering with anticipation as I dither over my options, finally settling on the Chicken & Mushroom.

    After a short wait and a bit of hydration, my steaming plate arrives. Beautifully presented, I'm a little concerned at first about the relatively small size of the pie itself. However, it's surrounded by a mass of peas, carrots and chips, so I'm not overly worried. Because of the lashings of gravy, I do have to use cutlery to tuck into this one. And I am not disappointed - creamy, but not overly so, the chicken to mushroom ratio is nearly perfect (and the nice sized chunks of chicken are just what the doctor ordered).  (Editor's note : No I didn't!)
  5. I had been slightly apprehensive about the gravy, but it has just the right amount to add a depth of flavour while still leaving the crust with a lovely crunch. And with the pea and carrot to complement it, I almost feel as though I am having a balanced meal!

    Fully satisfied, I can't even finish the carrots and chips! One of my best pie experiences in recent memory, the only reason the Horse & Stables isn't getting a 5 is due to the relatively limited sample size I have to work with, and the possibility that it could get even better than this!

    Osler Pie Rating: 4.6

No comments:

Post a Comment